OVH is one of the largest hosting companies in the world and caters to many international clients.
OVH has seen pretty steady improvement as a company.
Here is how they’ve trended over the years:
OVH offers some great features that you won’t find in a typical hosting company. Here are some of them:
1) One Week Rental for Dedicated Servers: OVH lets you rent dedicated servers for one week, which is not very common. It’s not the same as a free trial – you do pay for the week you’re using the servers. This is a good option if you want to learn about the performances of their dedicated servers without commitment. You can see how the servers are compatible with your applications.
You can see how you can scale up if there is an unexpected peak in your activity during the week. You get unrestricted use of the servers of the Enterprise, Hosting, or Infrastructure Range. Enterprise Range has servers with optimized RAM and 256 IPs with no monthly fees. Hosting Range offers free licenses for Plesk, Windows, cPanel, DirectAdmin, Virtuozzo, and 256 IPs with no monthly fees. Infrastructure Range offers vRack private network and 256 IPs with no monthly fees.
Also included for free in the one-week offer are cPanel, DirectAdmin, and other tools that you’d normally pay for. OVH’s one week rental for dedicated servers can give any new business owner a leg up by seeing how well their site will operate with the host before purchasing a plan.
2) OVH Partners: If you want to gain recognition and exposure for your expertise, you might want to look into OVH partner program. It puts you in front of 700,000 OVH clients, should you be accepted into the program. OVH is the third-largest web hosting provider in the world and they make frequent stops worldwide, so this kind of exposure is very helpful.
There are three levels of partnership: Community Partner, Certified Partner, and Premium Partner. Community Partner allows you to use OVH.com partner logos to increase credibility to your end customers, receive business support, and be listed in the service partners directory. Certified Partner can be achieved when you follow a billable program that needs to be renewed every 2 years. It allows you to gain additional recognition for your knowledge and expertise. Premium Partner is a permanent partnership with OVH that involves joint R & D, joint responses to major projects and offers, and dedicated teams.
3) Case Studies: OVH has extensive case studies (116 pages) that document how their infrastructures are deployed. The studies span all imaginable industries, from photography & video, expertise accounting, online media, local community, sound design, social network, collaborative work, and automobile.
These studies show how people use OVH’s products such as dedicated cloud, dedicated servers, public cloud, etc. and how they implement their infrastructure and scale their businesses. This is a vast source of information and can be invaluable to any business owner looking to host with OVH.
Telephone and email support is offered by OVH, however, no live chat support system is currently offered.
Company also appears to be active on Twitter, so you’ll probably have a good chance of getting someone’s attention with that.
We looked at online reviews for OVH and found that customers were pleased with pricing and site speeds.
One customer happy with the host states: “OVH is a powerful web-host, I think it’s the best by their perfection pricing and the number of features included, in fact, the service is pretty simple to use.”
Another reviewer whose business is doing well explains: “I started hosting a Dedicated server with OVH last month, and it is AWESOME! The server loads fast and does what I need it to do considering I have over 200 clients hosted on it at a time.”
However we also found several negative reviews as well. OVH customers have complained about uptime and feature availability.
This disappointed reviewer warns: “They don’t offer the DNS failover, CDN, load balancer. They say they do, but when you try to set it up, there are always limitations.”
Another customer with uptime problems states: “I have noticed that the uptime on the server is less than 97% which can be a problem for businesses and different companies.”
1) Focus on VPS, Dedicated Server, and Dedicated Cloud: OVH focuses mainly on VPS, dedicated server, and dedicated cloud plans. There’s a detailed explanation on their website on which plan is suitable for your needs and when you should upgrade.
2) Choice Between Data Centers: You can choose between data centers in North America or in Europe. Where you choose will impact your SEO and the speed of file transfers.
3) Community Forum: There’s a community forum that answers any questions about VPS, dedicated server, and dedicated cloud offered by OVH.
4) Affordable Pricing: The pricing is affordable ($3.49 per month for VPS, $34 per month for public cloud for example), considering these aren’t introductory prices that will go up upon renewal.
5) Documentation Center: The support is mainly in the form of a documentation center that answers many questions about network, server issues, and billing.
2) Limited Support: Their support is limited to email and phone. There is no live chat option.
3) Too Many Options: The emphasis on VPS, dedicated server, and dedicated cloud is good, but there are a lot of sub-plans that fall under each category.
If you’re curious about how OVH’s dedicated servers operate but you don’t want to make a full commitment, you can rent them for a week.
OVH’s products are affordable and you can get a detailed look at how other businesses use their services through the case studies.