Media Temple is a hosting company that specializes in providing quality service and interacting with customers.
They offer shared, WordPress specific, VPS, and dedicated hosting plans for customers who want fast page load times.
Click here to see the #1 rated web hosting
Media Temple isn’t quite as hot as it was ten years ago.
Here is how they’ve trended over the years:
Media Temple offers a number of features that set them apart from other popular hosting companies in the industry (see: Aplus, StartLogic, or JustHost).
Here are some of those features:
1) CloudTech Priority Care: Having a managed hosting account typically means that your server is shared. Other users host their files on the same hardware as yours which can mean slower load times and problems with downtime. Although, if you choose a dedicated or VPS server, many hosting providers don’t provide the level of care for those servers, expecting you to do the upkeep.
That’s why Media Temple created Cloudtech, which is a managed option that allows the experts at the host to take care of all issues related to keeping your site online. This service lets you concentrate on your business knowing that certified pros are watching the equipment that stores your files. The Media Temple architects will build a solution specifically for your application, and monitor it continuously for response time and other metrics. The hardware will also be regularly checked for malware and other safety issues, keeping your data and visitors safe from a hostile internet.
2) Virb SiteBuilder: Site builders, offered by most hosting companies are known for delivering a manageable, but subpar product. Many hosts include a web design service that will use the site builder to create the best possible site for you but want to create the content for you. Virb is Media Temple’s site builder that allows you to create a beautiful site and control the content that is written all while being easy to use. You can write and post the copy and photos that will bring your website to life, then choose a stylish and mobile friendly template and Virb does the rest. Your brand will have a great online presence.
Virb is more intuitive and just as easy to use as any other site builder on the internet. The templates use the newest and fastest HTML5, and being paired with the already speedy cloud hosting, your site will be fast as lightning. You can also use Virb to help with specialty sites like music or music, and business sites, like restaurants. This builder is a great option for someone who wants to create their own look but doesn’t have web design experience.
3) WordPress Specialists: While Media Temple offers a variety of hosting options, like the cloud, dedicated and enterprise, they specialize in WordPress hosting for businesses and agencies. The WP platform that Media Temple has was created by WP developers to create a unique and lightning fast solution for other developers. Their WP services are competitively priced and allow for some of the highest traffic limits of all WP specific hosting options.
The personal plan allows for up to two sites and 400,000 monthly visitors. The next level up (Studio) allows for 10 sites, 100GB of SSD storage and 1 million visitors. Many of the plans include malware detection and all of them include things like automatic updates of software. You also have the option to add extra resources at any time for a monthly fee that can be canceled any time.
When it comes to customer support at MediaTemple, you are in pretty good hands.
They offer 24/7 support via live chat, phone, Twitter, forums, the account center, along with a huge knowledgebase of useful information.
We have looked at the online reviews for MediaTemple. We found most customers have positive things to say about their hosting options and features.
One customer states: “You don’t need to be a tech-geek to use their service. They have a slick-end admin panel everything is easily accessible.”
Another reviewer agrees saying: “We host with Mediatemple on their DV VPS. It is a great service and easily scalable so if our business keeps growing as it has been we’ll be able to cope.”
We also found several negative reviews however. These seem to focus on downtime and site loading speed.
One customer warns: “Since being taken over by GoDaddy their reliability has deteriorated to such an extent that my WordPress websites are taking over 30 seconds to start loading and I am seeing constant downtime, usually 500 internal server errors.”
Another reviewer had a similar complaint saying, “Media Temple has a public “Status” page, where they collect up time statistics. However, this page never reflects the actual status of the service. All Media Temple sites – including their own MediaTemple.net – were down a couple months ago, and the status page read for 30 minutes that All Services Operational.”
1) Uptime Guarantee: Media Temple offers a 99.999% guarantee on uptime with a 20% discount for every 20 minutes your site is down.
2) Great Support: There are multiple support options depending on what you need including a wiki.
3) Socially Active: Media Temple has both a Facebook and a Twitter account that seem to interact with customers very well.
4) Money Back Guarantee: There is a 30 day guarantee for each of the hosting plans offered.
5) Move to Migration: Media Temple will move your current site onto their platform with expert skill and care.
6) Resource Center: Several educational posts are available right on the website that will help you get the most out of your hosting plan.
1) No cPanel: While some plans offer Plesk, Media Temple doesn’t offer cPanel.
2) No Extras: There don’t seem to be many of the common freebies like ad credits or a free domain name with sign up.
3) Expensive SSL: Media Temple’s SSL certificate is a pricey $75, which is more than most hosting companies charge.
Media Temple has created several applications that are geared towards experienced developers and web agencies. If you are looking for a host that takes uptime and customer service seriously, you may want to give them a try.
However, if you’re looking for inexpensive shared hosting you may not like their pricing. Likewise, if you want a place to put your eCommerce site that offers competitive prices for an SSL, there are lower cost options.