Domain.com is a popular domain registrar that offers inexpensive hosting options along with useful tools for small businesses and blogs.
Domain.com isn’t as hot as they were 15 years ago.
Here is how they’ve trended over the years:
Domain.com offers some unique features as a large domain registrar.
Here are some of them:
1) Domain Focused: With a name like Domain.com it’s obvious that this hosting company specializes in providing excellent domain registrar services to it’s customers. While they do offer an impressive line up of hosting solutions, their first service is to provide you with a great new name for your new website. Domain.com’s tagline even states, “It all starts with a great domain!”
There is a large amount of services provided that are domain specific like bulk registration which allows you to snag hundreds of names at one time and domain transfer to park your domains in bulk. You will also find all of the new TLD’s in an easy to sort out list to find the one that best suits your venture. Domain.com has all of the hottest TLD’s (almost 400) at some of the most reasonable prices to be found online. If you are looking to purchase domains for future use or for resale, this may just be the hosting option for you.
2) Business on Tapp: If you own or start a business, you need all the help you can get. Advice, insights and tactics aren’t easy to come by and can be costly when you do. In an effort to draw business owners and entrepreneurs to their platform, Domain.com has created a free app called “business on tapp”. A content focused app that allows you to read about game changing tactics, get advice from leadership in a variety of industries, and how-to style articles on all sorts of subjects.
The site for the app promises to feed your inner entrepreneur will giving you answers and helping you make connections. There are a lot of entertaining articles as well as great guides. If you’re new or just starting there is an entire section called “101” meant to help beginners answer questions about applying for a business loan and basic SEO tips. The app as a whole can be a refreshing way to learn about business or even take a break from the everyday grind and relax for a minute.
3) Fully Custom Designs: There are several hosting companies online that offer to design your website, but almost all of them use a version of a drag and drop site builder that just about anyone can use. Very few offer custom design services that create a one of a kind website without a starting from a simple template.
Domain.com offers a pro-level design service for businesses who want a custom option. The service starts at $49/mo and includes a dedicated designer for your project that works with you until your site is published and available online.
You’ll also get professionally written content so your site sounds as good as it looks. The words will be crafted to fit your business model and industry, and will compel people to take action. All the monthly maintenance and updates your site needs will be taken care of so you can concentrate on your business. All the designs are also search friendly to make sure that you’ll pick up search engine visitors down the road. All in all, this is a great option for anyone who wants a hands off website for their new business.
Company could use some improvement here.
Reviews indicate long wait times and difficult support reps. Also, no phone support is offered, so all problems have to be resolved using their ticketing system or via live chat.
We looked over different online review sites to find customer opinions of Domain.com. Many users are happy with their easy site set up and user friendly features.
This customer pleased with the ease of use writes: “They give you great features that anybody can learn to use quickly and easily. The CPanel is very user friendly and is great overall.”
Another reviewer also content with the straightforward features states: “We have been very pleased with the uptime, with how smoothly the site runs, with all the aspects of how easy it was for us to create our website and to do updates to it.”
We found negative reviews as well. Some Domain.com users are upset with lack of customer service and long resolution times.
One frustrated customer warns: “Run away as fast as you can from this company, or you’ll be stuck in a never ending loop of impossible changes and hours of wait times with the worst customer service reps known to man.”
Another disappointed reviewer writes: “Worst support ever. Things takes ages to fix, and most of the times they break something while fixing things. Support doesn’t know what they are doing and it’s completely not worth the money paid.”
1) Green Hosting: Eco-friendly hosting features such as their energy being 150% offset by wind energy, wind powered hosting badges, and high efficiency servers.
2) Affiliate Program: Domain.com has a generous affiliate program that offers you $100 for each person that signs up for hosting and 30% of the cost of domains for each customer who buys.
3) Website Design: Domain offers custom website design that includes publishing your site, professionally written content, and monthly maintenance.
4) Free Phone Number: When you purchase any hosting option Domain will provide you a free local or toll free number for your business.
4) Fully Loaded Basic: The basic hosting plan offer all of the features, applications, and marketing tools of the more expensive plans, so it’s perfect if you don’t mind being limited to only one domain.
1) No Uptime Guarantee: Domain.com does not have an uptime guarantee or a tracker posted on their site but they do claim their datacenter exceeds industry standards.
2) No Backups for Shared Hosting: Backups are available for VSP but shared hosting users are on their own to backup their files.
3) No Phone Support: Tech support is maintained through live chat and a ticket system. There is also a knowledgebase and user guide for customers.
4) No Money Back Guarantees: Domain does not list any money back guarantees or refund policies on their site so if you want to cancel it might be hard getting your money back.
Domain.com wants individuals, hobbyists, and small businesses to find the perfect domain name and then host your new website with them.
However, their options may not impress larger sites and developers.